Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Friends in the City

In a moment of panic what would you even think of grabbing and running with? What I mean is in a situation like one that occurred to my family and friends last night, my best friend asked me that exact question.  In that exact moment I too was in a slight panic and first thing I could think of was any and all photos that she might have around.  I then told her to grab her computer because we all know now days a computer is pretty much our best friend in the means of it contains our life and knows everything about us.  Next is then the obvious, which is some clothes so that you can at least get thru the next few days comfortably. 

            We spend years building a home with memories and objects of affection and just everything that defines you and your family. Imagine being told that you have 15 minutes to grab a few items and get the hell out.  Where do you start? Wow! I guess everyone has their own ideas of what is important to them and sometimes its kind of a hoot when you find out what people think to take.  Most people grab their photos, which like I always say, can never be replaced, unlike many other items in your house, but others think differently.  My aunt was also in danger last night from the fires and of course she grabbed her photos and valuable jewelry but she also took a container of coffee.  When my mom asked her why she calmly said that without her coffee she cannot function the next morning, which sadly makes complete sense.  Some people just really need certain things to survive, even in a moment of panic.  On the other hand there are the people who lose complete control and grab whatever they see in front of them and just run for dear life. When I heard about the fires, which mind you were very close to my house also, the first thing I thought of was getting my 13 year old black lab out of the house safely.  Funny thing is that my parents aren’t the youngest people in the world so I was telling my boss that I am freaking out and need to get home because not only is my dog old but my parents are elderly too.  I told him that if I don’t hurry up and get there my dog might end up having to help my parents out of the house, ha-ha. 

            During this whole mess of a night I have to give major props to my best friend because she had the whole situation under control, even though she told me that she has never been this scared in her entire life.  She, her dad and her uncle worked as a team and got mostly everything important, valuable, worth taking out of the house, into a car ready to go.  The funny part is that the car they put everything into was not in the greatest working condition so when I asked her how they were going to get the stuff that was in the car down the street she calmly told me that they were going to hope and pray that they could push the car down the street in a safe zone.  We laughed a bit which at the time didn’t feel right, but I feel that laughter is the most perfect remedy for a tragic, panic situation like this one was last night.

When a life-threatening crisis occurs what is more important, your jewelry box or your sanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment