Thursday, August 13, 2009

Friends in the City

Why can’t planning a move somewhere be as easy as planning a first date outfit?  You are probably wondering why I didn’t say as easy as planning what to make for dinner or planning what club to go to with the girls, but the reason is because I don’t expect planning a move to be that simple but rather simple enough that after lots of thinking and trying different solutions, you would finally come up with the perfect plan, or in this case, outfit! 

            I have personally been trying to plan an escape get-a-away to the fabulous, fast-paced, fashion state of New York for years now.  Every time I get motivated and ready to make the move something comes up that causes, or shall I say convinces me to stay.  The first time I got the crazy idea to move to New York was when I went for a visit there one year with my sister and it was like love at first sight.  From the moment I got off that train and our eyes locked I knew it was love, not lust, but love.  It turned into a deeper love when I stepped foot on the subway and the rush of people, well that’s being nice, actually the pushing of people showed me it was in deed true love.  Since I was little I was always known as the ‘energizer bunny’ so you can see where my love for New York comes from, possibly the fact that I love the rush of the state and the adrenaline that is built up from the energy which is given off.  When I returned from a fabulous trip from New York I immediately told my parents that I was going to move there with or without a companion and you can only guess what was done after that.  Of course I am the youngest of four kids and so my parents did all they could to convince me that after they lived there for 15 years it was a horrible place to live and told me nothing but the negatives of New York.  So only naturally my fabulous get-a-away plan was put on a sad sad hold.  Then a year later my sister and I decided to take another trip over there and this time it was during winter and wow did my relationship with the city get serious after such an experience.  When I came home from that trip I went as far as to purchase books that help you transition from California to New York for that fabulous move, which for anyone’s information, is a perfect way to push you more towards your plan of doing such a thing.  This time, even though the parents were still at it with the negative thoughts of New York, the reason I stayed was because my oldest brother had a gorgeous baby boy who at the time was less then a year old.  One phone call from my mother with the news of my plan to move, my brother was on the phone with me guilt tripping me that I will miss the growth of my nephew and that he won’t know his ‘Aunt Eggy” as much as he will know  and love his “Aunt Nay Nay.”  So of course me being “Aunt Eggy’ I could not let that happen so once again I put aside that fabulous book and rested the plans of moving to New York. 

            I once googled these exact words, ‘Description of New York’ and the following popped up:

New York City is an object of awe, desire, and disparagement, an image both alluring and, often, frightening. A magnet to tourism, it is also home to eight million people of every race, color, and creed.

As I read that my jaw literally dropped because only god knows that I could not have stated my description of New York in any better way then that.  Well actually let me take that back, if you have noticed throughout my rant for my love of New York the one word I used repeatedly, and may I say not nearly enough, is fabulous, so if I was asked to describe New York all I would need was one word and that one word being, Fabulous!

            I am happy to say that my plan for that perfect get-a-away move to the fabulous state of New York is back in action and this time I have found myself a little sidekick who in no doubt I know will love the outcome of this crazy idea we call ‘our perfect first date outfit.’  This time I will not let anything get in my way of this fabulous love at first sight relationship, because nothing should get in the way of love, nothing!

When it comes to love, rather it be for a person or in my case ‘Fabulous New York,’ to what extent should one go to conquer that love to achieve that ‘happy ending?’

No comments:

Post a Comment