Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Friends in the City

Who ever knew that the first thing you would think of when you wake up is not your loved ones or if you have an important meeting that day but your cell phone? Did anyone try and call me while I was asleep or did I get any texts?  It is both hilarious and a bit sad how much a person relies and depends on their cell phone these days.  Back in the day a cell phone was basically a way to communicate with the basic dialing of a contact and being able to leave someone a message if they were not available.  How boring right? Well that is exactly what the world of technology thought, so they came up with text messaging.  What a bad bad idea that text messaging, well bad as in look what it has done to the world, especially me!  I have convinced myself that texting is my #1 choice of communication and that means less actual voice communication.  Not only is that horrible for my speaking skills, lack of speaking skills leads to more mumbling and less understanding, but its very confusing.  What I mean by that is, when you are arguing with a boyfriend or girlfriend and you chose to do it through text it is very confusing and hard to get your point out.  If you type some kind of emotion like “furious” how furious do you really sound by just typing it out.  Imagine how much more “furious” you would sound if you actually called them and said “ I am soooo furious right now!” while raising your voice of course.  So what I mean about how texting really has no good if you look at it in the big picture is that it just involves more thinking and energy then if you were to just pick up the phone and call that person. 

            I have unlimited text on my phone so you can only imagine what that does to me when I do not need to worry about going over my limit.  I used to have a phone that I would have to delete my text after 100 text messages were filled in the box and all jokes aside I used to have to empty the text bin more then 3 or 4 times a day. That adds up to over 400 text messages in less then 24 hours!  How insane is that?   Now my awesome phone has unlimited storage of text messages so I have no idea how many I got through daily.  What is funny is that I talk about how text messaging is a bad thing when I find myself getting angry when people don’t text me instead of calling me.  One person in particular that I have been trying to get into text messaging is my boss.  I know that sounds weird to text your boss but in the entertainment industry communication is done through IM chat boxes, email or text mainly.  Maybe its just because of the rush and how fast paced this industry is and who has the time to pick up a phone and actually dial a number right? Well my boss is a bit old fashioned, which I personally think is awesome, which is why his old assistant told me that she tried to get him into texting so incase he was in a screening or on set and couldn’t pick up he could still be reachable.  But let me tell you we haven’t quite broken him into it yet because I find myself texting him daily and 50% of the time it requires an answer back but I do not get an text and sometimes I get a call back instead and ask me why that bothers me? Haha!  And the other 50% of the time my text messages to him do not even require a text back but I get upset thinking he could just text me saying “okay” “thanks” or something so I know he at least go it.  Anyways the point of my column today is not about text messaging in general but more about how much we rely on our phones to get us through the day. 

On more then one occasion I have found myself driving somewhere and rummaging through my purse for my phone and throwing things out of it because god forbid I cant find it and to my surprise its not there.  Stop everything right now! Meg does not have her cell phone, oh my gosh! So I turn back, mind you half the time not caring if I am late or will get in super trouble for not being somewhere at a certain time because without my phone I CAN NOT SURVIVE! Wow I never thought myself to be the attached type, not with a guy and especially not with a PHONE but sadly the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem so “Hello my name is Meg and I am addicted to my cell phone.”  There I did it, now on to the next 11 steps in the 12 step program in realizing that your cell phone will not get you further in life in any means so try really hard to put it to rest once in a while and see what good it will do in your life. 

When you start to realize that your day revolves around an electronic device, should one stop and wonder if the problem is you or the fact that such a device is capable of performing in that way?  

No comments:

Post a Comment